- When you set your clocks back, change your smoke detector batteries.
- Only use your holiday lights when you are home, and turn them off when you go to bed.
- Check your extension cords for nicks, frayed cords, and broken wire.
- Check your bulbs for loose connections.
- Never plug in more than three strands of lights per electrical cord/outlet.
- Use GFI protected outlets/cords.
- Make sure that outdoor lights and decorations are designed for outdoor use.
- Never secure wiring with nails or staples, and use approved UL fasteners.
- Do not close doors and windows on extension cords.
- When the season is over, take the light down because it is not intended for permanent
installation or use.